Zhu’s Formula for allergies is simple but rigorous with ingenuity. In clinical application it is widely used in treating various allergic diseases (such as allergic cough/asthma, urticaria, hay fever / allergic rhinitis, atopic dermatitis, eczema, allergic purpura, etc), thus it is valuable for reference.
Allergic disease is a class of diseases where the body produces hypersensitive immune response after antigen stimulation causing tissue damage and / or physiological disorders, such as allergic cough, asthma, urticaria, allergic rhinitis (hay fever), atopic dermatitis, eczema, atopic purpura. According to the World Allergy Organization’s epidemiological findings of allergic diseases in 30 countries, which was announced on the world’s first allergic disease day, it shows that among the 1.2 billion of the total population in these countries, there are 22% (i.e 250 million people) suffer from immunoglobulin E (IgE) mediated allergic diseases. It is windy in Melbourne, and allergic disorders are commonly seen in Melbourne patients in our BEST Acupuncture & Chinese Medicine Clinic. Therefore, it is of great significance to treat and prevent allergic disorders. The Guo Min Jian (allergy formula) formulated by famous Chinese medicine doctor Zhu Chen Yu, is simple but very rigorous with ingenuity. And it can be widely used clinically to treat various allergic diseases (such as allergic cough / allergic asthma, urticaria, hay fever / allergic rhinitis, atopic dermatitis, eczema, allergic purpura, and so forth), therefore, it is worth-mention here for reference.
Fang Feng 10g, Yin Chai Hu 10g, Wu Mei 10g, Wu Wei Zi 10g, Gan Cao 10g
One pack per day, make decoction of two cups, take one cup each time, twice a day at breakfast and dinner.
Herb Breakdown / Interpretation of the Formula
In the formula, Yin Chai Hu has sweet taste and cool property, clears heat and cools the blood; Fang Feng has pungent and sweet taste and warm property, expels wind and eliminates dampness; Wu Mei has sour taste and neutral property, astringent and generates body fluids; Wu Wei Zi has sour taste and warm property, astringes the lung and generates body fluids, and nourishes kidney essence; Gan Cao has sweet taste and neutral property, clears heat and toxicity, and harmonizes other herbs. As a result of the five herbs working together, the formula reaches concord of of heat and cold as well as astringent and disperse, with the astringent caring the root while dispersing the pathogen, therefore, it has a good effect for allergic diseases. The five herbs in the formula combines the astringent and disperse, tonics and purgatives, ascending and descending, and harmonizes yin and yang.
Modern pharmacological studies have shown that Gan Cao (licorice) has adrenal cortical hormone-like effect, and has effect of lowering serum total IgE; Wu Wei Zi (schisandra) can inhibit mast cell degranulation, and antagonistic effects of inflammatory mediators; Fang Feng (radix saposhnikovia) enhances the immunity function, polysaccharides in radix saposhnikovia (sposknikovan) can enhance macrophage phagocytosis, and can improve NK cell’s killing activity; and Wu Mei (fructus mume) also enhances immunity, and has anti-allergic effects.
Where allergy test is positive, can use this formula with modification.
- Allergic Urticaria: for wind-cold type, add Gui Zhi, Ma Huang, Sheng Ma, and Jing Jie; for wind-heat type, add Ju Hua, Chan Tui, Jin Yin Hua, and Bo He; for heat in blood, add Mu Dan Pi, Zi Cao, and Bai Mao Gen; for severe heat toxicity, add Lian Qiao, Jin Yin Hua, Gan Cao, Pu Gong Ying, Zi Hua Di Ding, and Ban Lan Gen; for Spleen deficiency, add Mu Xiang and Sha Ren; for damp-heat, add Bai Bian Dou, Yi Yi Ren, etc.
- Allergic Asthma: commonly add Lai Fu Zi, Bai Jie Zi, Zi Su Zi, Ting Li Zi, and Xing Ren.
- Allergic Purpura: commonly add Ou Jie Tan, Xue Yu Tan, Jing Jie Tan, Qian Cao Gen, Han Lian Cao, and Xian He Cao.
- Allergic Rhinitis: commonly add Chan Tui, Bai Zhi, Shi Chang Pu, Xin Yi Hua, Ju Hua, Xi Xin, Sheng Di Huang, Cang Er Zi, and Ge Gen. For those allergic to cold or hot air, commonly add Huang Qi, Bai Zhu, Gui Zhi, Bai Shao, Sheng Jiang, etc.
Editor’s Note: The Guo Min Jian (allergy formula) formulated by famous Chinese medicine doctor Zhu Chen Yu, is simple but very rigorous with ingenuity. The five herbs in the formula combines the astringent and disperse, tonics and purgatives, ascending and descending, and harmonizes yin and yang — it is truly a masterpiece! Its modification can be widely used clinically based on the pattern identification of Chinese Medicine and Western Medicine diagnosis. And this formula has been studied in clinical trials in a hospital in Shanghai which showed its anti-allergic effects. Doctor Zhu has applied this formula in his clinical practice for allergic conditions for several decades and all showed satisfactory efficacy. So it is recommended for clinical use for all the patients that suffering from allergic conditions. Also, I have used its modification to treat many cases of allergic rhinitis, allergic urticaria, eczema and allergic purpura, and all results are quite good.
1. Lu, Xiang Zhi，《名中医治病绝招》(“Unique Skills of Famous Chinese Medicine Doctors” – book name)
2. Journal of Henan Chinese Medicine, 1996，“祝谌予过敏煎加味治疗过敏性鼻炎60例(Reports on 60 Cases of Allergic Rhinitis Treated with Modification of Zhu Chen Yu’s Allergy Formula)”
3. Zhong, Nanshan，2006，《支气管哮喘——基础与临床》(“Bronchial Asthma — Foundation and Clinical Practice” – book name)
4. Journal of Jing Gang Shan Medical College, 2004，“中药防风的研究(Research on Chinese Herb Fang Feng (radix saposhnikovia))”
5. Journal of Jiangsu Chinese Medicine, 2007，“抗过敏中药治疗变应性鼻炎(Allergic Rhinitis Treated with Anti-allergic Chinese Herbal Medicine)”
Melbourne acupuncturist & Chinese herbalist Dr. Rayman Wu is a fully qualified acupuncturist and Chinese herbal medicine practitioner. He has special interest and substantial experience in treating allergic conditions including hay fever/allergic rhinitis, atopic dermatitis, eczema, etc.
Call 03 8839 0748 or make online appointment to see how Chinese medicine can help.